Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Quiet Read

I am a reader. I always have book that I am reading and have to always have one "next in line." In fact, right now I have a basket of books next to my bed that I am slowly working through. A couple of weeks ago, none of the books I had looked appealing. I wanted something that would touch me, move me and allow me to reflect.

I turned to my favorite book of all time, Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss. This is the third time I am reading it and it is one of those books that I have marked up, underlined and starred certain quotes and sections (which I don't normally do). If you are looking for truth, love, Jesus and even some laughs, this is your book. It was written in the 19th century by Elizabeth Prentiss, who also wrote the hymn, "More Love to Thee, O Christ.


One of my favorite parts is during a conversation between Katy and her mother. Katy has been restless in her relationship with the Lord and her mother says, "The only true way to live in this world, constituted just as we are, is to make all of our employments subserve the one great end and aim of existence, namely, to glorify God and enjoy Him forever."

If you have read this book, I would love to know what you thought of it!

8 comments:

Katie said...

It sounds like a good book...I'll have to check it out! I'll let you know if I get my hands on it! Thanks :o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommend. Sounds great! And your blog looks really good. ;)

Kristen said...

I think we are sisters from different mothers! :)
I always have a book I am reading and one "on deck" as I put it. I will definitely check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lifting you in prayer this week,
K

Mom and Dad said...

You KNOW how much I love this book! It is absolutely a classic that every Christian woman needs to read at least once in her life. I too have read it several times and each time, I learn something new about myself and God. It's a book that will never grow old! this is also a great book for a book club discussion. I love it!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Have not read it but maybe I should! Thanks for the recommendation! I would love to hear any others that you like...I am a big reader too!
-Carrie

cherry said...

I have not read it..but since you rec. I will be getting it. I have a feeling you have good tastes in books, lol. Have you read The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stovall? He is a christian writer..I am in the middle of the book. Very good. I love to read as well...have since a child (reread the anne of Green gables series this summer)..have a stack of books by my bed. My son is the same way...he is out reading on the couch now. cherry

Power Up Love said...

Wonderful blog! I invite you to visit www.PowerUpLove.com. A community of real people sharing real stories about how Love has really impaced and change their lives.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Hi Sarah! Just wanted to say that I am giving you a little award on my blog on Tuesday. :) Have a good day!
Carrie