Friday, January 15, 2010

Spinach Tortellini Soup and Whole Wheat Bread

I made this last night for dinner. We've been eating a lot of soups recently and this is one of my favorites!




Soup:
1 can chicken broth
4 cups water*
2 extra large vegetable bouillon cubes (Knorr brand)
1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach, unthawed (I used a 16 oz bag because I wanted there to be a lot of spinach)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 (9 oz) packages refrigerated cheese filled tortellini (I saved some money and bought the dry tortellini in the pasta aisle, cooked it separately and then added)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a dutch oven over medium high heat. Add spinach, stewed tomatoes, and garlic and return mixture to a boil.
Stir in tortellini and cook for 5 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
*when it was finished cooking, I wanted it to have more broth so I added 3 chicken bouillon cubes and 3 more cups of water. You can add whatever you like depending on how soupy you like your soup!
Quick Wheat Bread (this is so easy and so good!):
2 cups rolled oats (quick or rolled)
2 cups whole wheat flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 T. honey (the original recipe calls for 3 but I wanted it to have a bit sweeter taste)
2 T. oil
2 cups milk
I added about a tsp. of cinnamon as well to give a bit more flavor, you could add whatever you like or leave it out altogether.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine oatmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. In separate bowl dissolve honey in oil (it doesn't really dissolve, more like stirs together) and then stir in milk. Combine both mixtures and stir.
3. Pour in greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
This was so good right out of the oven, a little crumbly though. That's what I get for being impatient. It is a very dense bread, not for sandwiches but delicious with soups or for breakfast!
Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

Christy said...

YUM, YUM, YUM!!! Once again, another reason I wish we lived closer because I would have been there for dinner.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

There is nothing like warm soup and yummy bread this time of year.

Thank's SO much for sharing the recipes too! :-)

Smelling Coffee said...

These look so yummy! I'm going to bookmark this so I can come back to these recipes. Thanks for sharing - and I hope Anna Claire is feeling better!

Kate said...

ooh, delicious bread. I'm going to try this recipe with some soup tonight. I always love bread recipes that doesn't require kneading and yeast and all that. Thanks!