Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lunch with a friend

A few weeks ago, I met Monica, a blog friend, who I now know in real life. Yesterday, she and her son, Seth, came for lunch.

I made Toscana Soup, a hearty Italian soup--it was yummy (and somewhat spicy).
And some panninis...mmm...good! I love my pannini maker (Thanks Mom!)
You just can't beat a Monday afternoon lunch with a friend!
Toscana Soup
12 links spicy sausage (I used ground sausage)
1 T vegetable oil
3/4 cup diced onion
1 1/4 teaspoons minced garlic
2 T chicken broth
4 cups water (I substituted additional broth for this)
2 potatoes, halved and sliced
2 cups sliced kale
1/3 cup heavy cream
Cook sausage according to directions. If using links, cut into 1/2 inch slices when cooked.
Heat oil and saute onions until translucent, add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Stir in broth, water (or broth) and potatoes, simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are done.
Reduce heat to low and add sausage, kale and cream. Simmer until heated through.
(I added more broth and cream so that it would be a more "soupy" as opposed to "stewy")

Have a good Tuesday--it's raining here so I think I will curl up and enjoy some leftover soup!

17 comments:

CMB said...

Sounds like a great afternoon and the soup looks delicious...I will have to try that. I love to make pannini's too...where did you find the red pepper spread?

The Writer Chic said...

Good morning!!! Lunch was so yummy -- it made it hard to come up with something to fix for dinner.

Did Mike end up getting a day off? I'd like to pick his brain.....our fireplace is leaking, and we are clueless as what to do....eek! The living room carpet is soaked. =(

Christy said...

I knew I should have made the drive down there because that looks DELICIOUS!!!

Montee said...

Sarah, I just was reading your blog and it dawned on me that we used to live right down the road from you. We lived in Sango just off of Exit 11 for about 10 years. My grandfather had a farm that I-24 cut right in half. If you go on I-24 towards Clarksville and cross the Red River, you are driving through my grandfather's old farm. My sister still lives in Clarksville. Stay safe and warm with the weather Y'all are having today!

Joanna said...

Good food good friends, you can't go wrong! That looks so yummy!

Kimberly said...

Mmmm! Thanks for the recipe...how'd you make the paninis?

Shannon said...

All that food looks so good! I love a good afternoon with a good friend. :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

OH my that sounds very yummy!
-sandy toe

Kristen said...

I want to come for lunch! Hee hee! What fun... and that soup and panninis... looked sooo yummy!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great day! wonderful lunch too, the soup sounds great.

Anonymous said...

That lunch looks great! It's so cold and snowy here I think it would just be perfect!

Amber said...

Mmmm, I got a panini grill pan for Christmas and I love it too! I used it for the first time last week and it makes excellent panini! A great lunch or easy dinner. Your soup looks yummy too and perfect for a cold winter day!

Carolina Mama said...

Okay, looks like a restaurant to me! Thanks for sharing the great recipes.

Have a wonderful time with your sister and niece. Those are priceless moments.

How many days left? :) Last prego pics? :) You look great so you can do that.

Smelling Coffee said...

Just saw on yours siter's blog that you have a shower this weekend. What fun! Take lots of pictures for us. :-) Blessings to you all... I know you'll enjoy the visit with family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! I'm here from Christy's blog. Congratulations on your sweet baby.... and have lots of fun at your shower. PS ~~ That soup looks delicious, thanks for the great recipe!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us peak into your life. I'm blogging about lunch with a friend today. I linked to this post because my readers will enjoy it!

Katie said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this! You always have the best recipes!!