Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow Day

We got about 1-2 inches of snow here yesterday and overnight. Around these parts, that means a trip to the grocery to get milk and bread because you will be what is considered "snowed in." Now, I'm originally from Ohio. We laugh at 1-2 inches because up north, it is just considered "flurries." But down here, schools were closed today and they just called them off for tomorrow too. It looks like Mike's Christmas vacay might be a bit extended, especially since they are expecting a wintry mix for Wednesday morning. The benefits of being a teacher!

It was bitterly cold outside, so Mike started a fire at 8:00 this morning and it is still burning. I got to busy in the kitchen and made these.

Homemade Peppermint Patties. If you like peppermint, or what something festive and different for your Christmas cookie collection this year, this could possibly be what you have been looking for.


Yes, that is peanut butter in the middle. These are Buckeye Bars from a recipe my mom gave me when I got married.


Between these two desserts and leftover gingerbread pudding cake I made this weekend, we might be eating sweets for dinner tonight.

5 comments:

Carolina Mama said...

Stay warm! It is 0 here! I may need to make the peppermint tomorrow. Wish we had the snow to go with the cold! :) Enjoy the time together. God Bless.

Cat said...

looks delish! I wish I could see some snow. It's snowing at our house in Birmingham, but that's 3 horus away!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

OK girlie, I simply must have the recipe for Buckeye Bars! (Only if you're willing to share.) This Ohio girl has been wondering what other Christmas cookies to make this year, and those sound so yummy, even if we WON'T be having a white Christmas in San Francisco! :)

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, and your wood-burning fire is something I will be wishing for tonight. Doesn't feel like Christmas without it!
Carrie

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Yum-oh..I'd love to be snowed in with you enjoying these treats for dinner!!

I had to laugh at your 'snowed in' for 2 inches...we had a huge dump of 17+ inches this past weekend...PLUS -18 degrees below zero (wind chill close to -30 below) and well...we keep moving and nothing get's cancelled.

Enjoy having your hubby home!

Frankie said...

You are such a great baker. Hope there's some left for when we come this weekend.