Monday, March 14, 2011

Plain Wisdom by Cindy Woodsmall and Miriam Flaud


I was interested in Plain Wisdom because the simple life of the Amish is interesting to me--the day to day happenings, work, raising families, etc. This book definitely gave me an insight into that, but I found the actually writing and message behind the book to be somewhat dry and uninteresting.

The two authors have a valued friendship that reaches across their different lifestyles--in fact, the relationship began when Cindy Woodsmall was doing research for one of her many novels (with Amish connections). Both authors give a very simplistic view of their world, lessons learned, tragedies, celebrations, with a few recipes thrown in. The fact that these two women have collaborated on a book is interesting and their bond as sisters in Christ is heartwarming.

I had never read anything by Cindy Woodsmall (and in fact this is her first, that I know of, fiction piece) so was unfamiliar with her writing style; so that might be why I didn't love this book. If you are a fan of hers, then I would think you might like it a bit better. Overall, it was a okay, and a very easy read.

This book was provided to me by Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing for review

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Your blog is lovely! I actually live in southern Ontario and we are surrounded by a very large Mennonite community. They are very similar to the Amish and I have always been intrigued by their lifestyle. We often pass them in their horse-drawn buggies and we see them at our local farmers market. The author Beverly Lewis has written many books with the Amish as her characters. They are extremely well written and they give an interesting insight into their lives. I just thought I would pass her name along - you would probably enjoy her books!
Joanne xo