Monday, July 21, 2008

Charlie (and recipe)

So we have a dog. Actually I have a dog. Mike refuses to claim him. His name is Charlie and he's a Cairn Terrier (like Toto from The Wizard of OZ). Actually it's Charles Franklin--I loved Little House on the Prairie growing up and Pa was my favorite--he's named after Charles Ingalls. Since every dog needs a middle name, Franklin sounded good and it was the city I used to live in. Charlie is 6 years old.

When most people write about their dog they share what they do and how their pet makes them laugh--running and playing, chasing the ball, jumping in the pond, etc. etc. I would like to do the same. Here are a few action shots...
He leads a good life doesn't he? No need for him to do anything else--he knows I love him and will take care of him no matter what. Mike, on the other hand, wonders when he is going to do something productive. I tell him that Charlie is sticking with what he is good at.

You see, Charlie falls into the category of, "a special needs dog." He's the only dog I know who has actually been diagnosed with OCD. It's quite funny sometimes, watching him bite the air thinking there is something flying around his head. He also has seizures because of a lesion on his brain. I spent oodles of money on him trying to find out what was wrong with him several years ago (this was pre-Mike). The vet wanted to send him over to UT in Knoxville so that they could study him and do more testing! I had to come to my senses and realize that although he is part of my family, he is a dog.

So, now, we live day to day. Sometimes he sleeps in the bedroom, sometimes in the living room. Sometimes he likes to sit in the sun, sometimes under a table. Sometimes he likes to sit at the front door and watch all the other dogs go by and sometimes, well, pretty much all the time, he likes to nap. He's like an old man.

All kidding aside, if any of you have ever had a dog, you know what I mean when I say that dogs add so much to your life. I know there will come a day when we might have to get rid of Charlie or something will happen to him (like Mike might leave the gate open) but in the mean time, I'll keep loving him and taking care of him and he'll keep being the loyal lazy dog that he is.

PS. Here is the recipe for the Artichoke Chicken dish from the other night:

1 can (15 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

3/4 grated Parmesan cheese

3/4 cup mayo

1 pinch of garlic powder

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Preheat oven to 375

In medium bowl, mix together artichoke hearts, cheese, mayo and garlic powder. Put chicken in a greased baking dish and cover evenly with artichoke mixture. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in preheated oven or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear.

ENJOY!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

What a cute little dog. I love Little House on the Prarie too. Me and my kids still watch it everyday at 5:30. Your desserts below look sooooooo good! I may have to try the pie out, my hubby would be in heaven. I've never been good at pie crusts though.

cherry said...

I love house and the prarie ( we still watch it). I cried when Michael Landen died. Loved him. Your dog is a cutie...they do indeed bring joy to our lives and are blessings from God. We got a black lab 6 months ago from the Humane Society and he has given us such joy! My first time here and enjoyed my visit! Cherry

Katie said...

Ohhh, look at little Charlie! I love him! Isn't he just darlin'!! I have saved several random pictures of Cairns that I have seen on the internet because that is what I always said I'd get if we ever got a dog. We never will...but it's so fun to fantasize, esp. about my own little Toto dog. Your's is precious! BLESS HIS HEART!!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I found you by way of Joy. Charlie is adorable. I have a Stella, so I know about the attachment. She is loveable and company when I am here alone(empty nest). I will be back to visit again.

Elise said...

Thanks for the recipe!! I will get my husband to take pics of me making another tassel so I can make a tutorial. Be on the lookout.
Elise

Cute dog!!

Nicol said...

LOL! I consider my dog a "special needs" dog as well. He hates people! He likes children and people that he knows, but if he doesn't know you he will either pee or try to attack you.

Your dog is super cute and would be fun to watch....try to catch "things" in the air. Lol!

Anonymous said...

Did I miss sumpthin'? Are you supposed to add the dog to the recipe? (for mike) ;)